Monday, December 12, 2011

December Daily 11

Several weeks ago, I volunteered to accompany the ward choir when they sang in church on Christmas Day. Then a week later, we changed our Christmas plans, so I wouldn't be able to play for them on Christmas Day. However, I was still able to accompany them when they sang at the Stake Christmas music program, which was on December 11. It has been a very, very long time since I've accompanied anyone, so I was very nervous and very out of practice. It didn't help that I had two little boys at home who loved to come over and turn off the keyboard while I was practicing! At Choir practice, Oliver would hang around me - no doubt looking for the non-existent off button for the piano in the chapel. I received many positive comments after Sunday's choir practice. I'm pretty sure everyone was lying, but I don't care, it helps me play so much better! The actual performance went well. At one point, I decided to maybe try and not look so stoic as I played, you know, try and look like I'm enjoying myself. So I thought maybe I should try and attack the piano, slyly sneak up on it and take it by surprise, but then I promptly lost my place. So, I went back to my usual blank stare that only one person has ever called me on, but I'm sure anyone one else who has ever watched me accompany has wondered why I look like I'm in pain. It was a great night of music, though!

4 comments:

Jolene said...

I can relate. Our Choir angels worked so hard on Saturday night for the program that they slept in and weren't there on Sunday morning for our song that day. I messed up and we had to stop and start over. I'm glad yours came out good.

Katy Asher said...

I can imagine you sneaking up on the piano. That would be worth getting video. :-)

Sarah said...

Bwah! Remember that awesome Piano Performance Major girl at Institute who was the master of sneaking up on the piano, so that watching her play was like watching an interpretive dancer? I'd forgotten her until this post!

Congrats on your resurgence as an accompanist!

Alison said...

Sarah and Katy, I'm so glad you got it! Well, Katy didn't really say that she did, but I'm going to pretend that she did :)