Monday, April 06, 2009

At Conference Time

This is the way church ought to be - two times a year, that is.

During the first weekends of April and October, our church holds a general conference, and through the miracle of modern technology, we can sit at home and watch it on the internet (TV would also be an option if we had the BYU channel, if we lived in an area more heavily populated with Mormons, or if we had the cable that Jordan keeps begging for that would allow us to easily hook up our computer to the TV). 

So after our traditional breakfast of orange scones, we flipped the couch around to face the computer and set the boys up with coloring and activity books.  And there was much reverence during the opening song.  And then there was much chaos.  And much noise. At one point, Jordan brought out a bag of chips, thinking that if Skyler's mouth was busy eating, it couldn't be talking.


I can imagine what is going through my boys' heads.  Skyler sees both mom and dad just sitting there and decides we have nothing else better to do than pay attention to him.  I know that getting him to watch even ten minutes is asking a whole lot considering that a half an hour TV show is all he can handle watching at a time - and that's when it is something he chooses.  We tried to get him to play in his room, he wouldn't have it.  Someday, I know that we won't be able to get him out of his room on conference Sundays.  Jonah sees two jungle gyms - man that boy likes to climb.

So another conference weekend has come and gone. All I can say is at least there is no test immediately afterwards.  I surely would have failed.

2 comments:

Wendy said...

LOL! Better luck in April...

Rachel and Jared Lautenschlager said...

Sheez louise, you are SO not the only family in this situation! I always have such high hopes for the kids to actually listen (somewhat) to conference, but that novelty wore off and I found myself just sending them to the loft to watch a barbie movie so Jared and I could actually get something out of conference! Silly kiddos. The biggest success was baby Jordan laying completely still in my lap during any song and pretending to direct it. He was mesmerized. that was cute. And this is a long comment. :)